In 2023, going to the dermatologist or esthetician's office is often considered impractical due to the costly fees and lack of natural alternatives.
Nowadays, browsing for an affordable, at-home solution for wrinkles, acne scars, undereye bags, stretch marks, and even hair loss, you likely stumbled upon the best anti-aging tool called Dermaroller.
Yet with so many inconsistent information online, you have ended up confused or afraid to start! I understand that you want to know exactly what you're doing, especially as it involves using needles on the skin.
My name is Gin, a licensed master esthetician that specializes in microneedling. With over 20 years of experience in the beauty industry, I'm here to teach you how to use dermaroller at home.
So if you're a beginner in microneedling or a veteran that needs a detailed refresher, save $800+ and keep reading!
CHOOSE REAL DERMAROLLERS
Dermaroller is a microneedling tool that has real individual microneedles inside. When rolled into the skin, it creates fine micro punctures that helps stimulate collagen, elastin, and keratin production—necessary to reverse the signs of aging and improve the overall appearance of the skin!
If it's that good, then why are most professionals against it? Because 99.9% of dermarollers on the market are FAKE. Nobody knows that, not even most estheticians or dermatologists!
Fake Dermarollers don't have needles. It's made of cheap metal wheels with spikes that widen towards the base which results to:
- IMPROPER PENETRATION
- PAINFUL PROCEDURE
- DAMAGED SKIN
- LONGER DOWNTIME & HEALING
- EXCESSIVE BLEEDING
- NO RESULTS
Here's a study done under the microscope with a more detailed explanation on how to identify real vs. fake dermaroller,
As you can see on the video, fake dermarollers can damage skin cells, leave scars, and do more harm than good. This sparked me to develop Gin Amber Beauty's CE-medical certified real individual needles® dermaroller, tested and loved by thousands of clients worldwide!
WHO BENEFITS FROM DERMAROLLING?
Dermarolling is safe for all ages and you can start anytime! Not only does it enhance product absorption, it's a procedure for preventing and reversing the signs of aging and treating countless skin issues. Say goodbye to scarring, stretch marks, sagging skin, dark circles, and more!
A few exceptions include avoiding usage on active acne, open wounds, raised scars, psoriasis, fungal infections, keratosis, skin cancer, and moles/warts.
Here's a detailed overview on WHEN NOT TO USE A DERMAROLLER,
WHAT SIZE SHOULD I START WITH?
Selecting a size will depend on your skin type, experience, and the result you're trying to obtain. However, a general rule is to always start with a smaller size like the 0.25mm dermaroller to help your skin ease into the treatment.
Find the right size for you by taking a personalized quiz HERE.
HOW OFTEN CAN I USE THE DERMAROLLER?
The frequency of use would depend on the size of the dermaroller you are using. Refer to the chart below for the recommended usage:
You can save and print this to refer to anytime!
WHAT TO PREPARE BEFORE DERMAROLLING?
Preparation can affect 50% of your results! Before you start your session, do the following steps:
- Wash your hands and double cleanse your skin with any natural non-exfoliating cleansers.
- Keep your hair away from your face, tie it back or use a headband.
- If you have sensitive skin or using a deeper size, you can apply a thin layer of Numbing Cream for 10 to 20 mins. prior dermarolling. Rinse with water then wipe gently with a paper towel.
- Disinfect the dermaroller by applying 2-3 pumps of the Natural Foam Therapy. Let it sit on an open case and allow the foam to break down completely before rolling on a clean paper towel to remove excess residue.
- Sanitize your skin by applying a pump of Natural Foam Therapy to your fingertips and gently spread it onto your skin. Allow the foam to remain for at least 1 minute. You can wipe your skin with a dry or damp cloth after.
Here's a visual guide on how to disinfect the dermaroller and skin,
HOW TO USE THE DERMAROLLER?
You're now done preparing your skin, and it's time to get rolling! Let's start with the basic guidelines on how to use the dermaroller for the face.
- If you're a beginner, start by using the dermaroller for 2-3 minutes on the whole face. Advanced users, or those that have been using the dermaroller for over a year, can roll up to a maximum of 10 minutes.
- Roll and lift the dermaroller in an upwards and outwards direction. Only apply slight pressure, as if you're shaving.
- Here's how many times you should roll on each area,
- Face: 5-10 times per area in each direction
- Body: 10-20 times per area in each direction
- Hair: 5-15 times per area in each direction
I have prepared a FREE playlist for you so you can dermaroll with me!
This includes a step-by-step tutorial on how to use the dermaroller on the following: Eye Area, Face, Neck, Body (Hands, legs, breast, stomach, etc.), Hair, Beard, and Eyebrows.
Side Note: On most of theses video, I was using Alcohol to disinfect the face/dermaroller. There were no available safer alternatives at that time, but now we have developed a Toxic-Free and gentle way to disinfect the skin and dermaroller too! Check it out HERE.
After finishing your dermaroller routine, disinfect the dermaroller after use by applying 2-3 pumps of the Natural Foam Therapy.
WHAT TO APPLY AFTER DERMAROLLING?
Most skincare products in the market are NOT developed nor suitable to use after using the dermaroller. The ingredients can be too harsh and cause irritation/damage to the skin, affecting the healing process.
This is why I'd only recommend using serums, creams and/or sheet mask that are designed to be safe to use with the dermaroller! If you are on a budget, best to use nothing at all.
But if you want to boost the benefits of microneedling, watch this video to find out about products that are safe to use after:
Our serums, creams, and sheet mask have been specifically developed to be safe to use after dermarolling. Each has its own targeted benefits but can also work together to increase efficiency of the dermaroller and overall improve our skin's appearance.
Find the best products to use after according to your skin concern by taking the quiz HERE.
HOW TO TAKE CARE OF MY SKIN AFTER?
Our skin is vulnerable after dermarolling, so we have to be extra careful and avoid aggressive procedures and harsh conditions. Wait until your skin has HEALED.
After 24 hours post dermarolling, you can apply/use:
- Face Tapes
- Makeup (Unless you used 0.25mm-0.5mm, you can use after 12 hours)
- Other Skincare Products (Read the ingredients! Avoid acids, bad alcohols, fragrance, parabens, etc. | opt for Natural/Organic Products)
- Toxic-Free SPF
- Low dose Retinol (0.01% to 0.02%)
For 48-72 hours post dermarolling, you should refrain from:
- Hot Water/Hot Showers
- Moderate to High Dose Retinol (0.03% and up)
- Any other home skincare device (Gua Sha, Red Light, Microcurrent etc.)
For 72 hours post dermarolling, you should refrain from:
- Exfoliating Acids/Scrubs
- Any Laser Treatment
- Sun Exposure
- Any Laser Treatments
- Waxing, Threading, and/or Shaving
- Tanning Lotion
Here's a more detailed list on what to avoid after dermarolling,
If you need to go out, cover your face/body with protective clothing/items such as hats, scarfs, gloves, loose and long clothing, and umbrellas. Apply Toxic-Free Sunscreen for the best protection.
Learn more about After Care here,
For other Frequently Asked Questions about microneedling, you can visit my FAQ Page HERE or access ALL FREE MICRONEEDLING TUTORIALS on my YouTube Channel, Gin Amber.
It's my passion for everyone to discover and become a master at microneedling, so with this newfound knowledge, I hope I eased your worries about dermarolling at home!
If you have any other questions, let me know in the comments below!